I am happy to share with you the new and approved mission and visions statements for First Presbyterian Church of Greensboro.
Mission Statement (where we are now)
We are disciples of Jesus Christ reaching out through mission and warm, welcoming fellowship to individuals of various communities of the Greene County area.
Vision Statement (where we are in the future)
To be the church of choice to the very rapidly growing population of the Greene County area: the active adult community.
The session is very appreciative of the thoughtfulness of the feedback that we got from you. After discussion, we decided that while there are many great things that could be added or be more descriptive theologically and practically, that it was best to keep it short so that it would be easier to memorize and use.
Both statements speak to effectively reaching out to others. I think they reflect a sound knowledge of who we are and of our circumstance locally and as God’s disciples. (who we are, whose we are, and to whom we have been called) I ask all of us to make an effort to memorize them and use them as a filter or as a guide to lead us in decision making and action.
It is my hope and prayer that if I have the privilege of visiting with you several years down the road, that I come to find these statements outdated or replaced, because they are largely fulfilled, and that the church is in need of a subsequent focus.
The choir is organizing itself so as to continue providing musical inspiration for us in connection with the preaching and presentation of the Word. They are resuming practice on Wednesday evenings. Kudos to this great group.
Also, not meaning to steal the thunder from the Pastor Nominating Committee, I’ll just say that they are moving forward and from all I can hear doing a great job. Duane Blough will be making a report in church on Sunday.
With prayers of blessings and thanksgiving,
Trivia quiz 6 questions:
- Who in the Bible could be called “The Lion Tamer?”
- If God be for us, _____________________________________?
- Name the Fruit of the Spirit. (there are nine, name at least 5 to claim correct)
- What was the name of the man who was released from prison by an angel?
- What was the name of the first New Testament martyr?
- Which came first – the tower of Babel or the flood?
- “And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon _________; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.”
- What Bible character was called “The Tishbite?”
- What little boy king had to be hidden in a bedroom for six years to escape the rath of his wicked grandmother?
- Jeremiah had a secretary. What was his name?
- Where is tennis mentioned in the Bible?
- Was there any money on Noah’s Ark?
Trivia quiz 5, questions and then answers:
Bible trivia quiz number 5
- Who prayed three times a day at an open window?
- Who had an occupation as a tentmaker?
- Who said, “Divide the living child in two and give half to the one, and half to the other.”?
- What was the name of the man who came to Jesus in the night to talk with him?
- Someone came to Pilate and asked for the body of the crucified Christ. Who was he?
- What was Lot’s relationship with Abraham?
- To whom did god tell to go and to marry a prostitute?
- Two men in the Bible had the same name. One was very poor and the other was friend of Jesus. What was their common name?
- What little boy king had to be hidden to protect him from the wrath of his wicked grandmother?
- The giant Goliath lived in what city?
- Where was deviled ham mentioned in the Bible?
- What man in the Bible had no parents? (Hint: besides Adam)
Answers to trivia quiz number 5
- Daniel Daniel 6:10
- Paul the Apostle Acts 18:1-3
- Solomon 1 Kings 3:15, 25
- Nicodemus John 3:1-2
- Joseph of Arimathea Matthew 27:57-58
- His nephew Genesis 12:5
- Hosea Hosea 1:2
- Lazarus Luke 16:20 & John 11; 12:1
- Joash 2 Kings 11:1-2
- Gath 1 Samuel 17:4
- When the evil spirits entered the swine.
- Joshua, the son of Nun