The mission of First Presbyterian Church of Greensboro is:
We are disciples of Jesus Christ reaching out through mission and warm, welcoming fellowship to individuals of various communities of the Greene County area.
The vision of First Presbyterian Church of Greensboro is:
To be the church of choice to the very rapidly growing population of the Greene County area: the active adult community.
These statements are the core of who we are and of what we are intending to do and be. They are deliberately short so that they can be easily memorized. Please do so… and use them in your thinking about the church. I very proudly nailed them on the first Sunday after they were adapted. I have to admit that I had to correct them somewhat for this article as I attempted to first type them from memory.
Towards those ends, the Pastor Nominating Committee has been meeting regularly and crafting and excellent “Mission Information Form” to be submitted to the Presbytery and then posted to the PCUSA for matching with “Pastor Information Forms.” When that is completed in the next few weeks, they will begin the search and discernment process in earnest. Keep them in your prayers.
Many thanks to Beth Lewis for hosting the church picnic and worship service. From all accounts, it was a great success as we enjoyed worshiping the Lord in the midst of God’s creation and, of course, lots of wonderful food. Many thanks also to Cheri and Jimmy Moore for all they did to make it a success.
I will be enjoying my 50th Aiken Senior High School class reunion this weekend, and will be looking forward to returning next week.
Rev. John Lamsma will return to the pulpit this Sunday. I am pleased to see more people participating in more ways with the music and choral ministry of the church and to see that the quality is still excellent. I also admit that I am a little jealous that I won’t get to hear Jeffrey Wells’ solo this Sunday, but… y’all enjoy.
Of note, on the first Sunday after my return from SC, it will be Reformation Sunday, marking the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation. Susie has been teaching in regard to its impact in “churchdom.” On the 29th I will mark the three primary “Sola’s” that were used as a chant or theme. Sola is the latin word for alone or only. Sola Scriptura. Sola Gratia. And Sola Fide. Scripture, grace and faith (as in fidelity) are the keys to Life, not human institutions, not works and not empty words.
On a final note, please keep Tom Tait and his family in your prayers as well this week in the death of his father. Even if there has been significant decline over time, the finality and loss from the death of a loved one is always difficult.
Blessings to all in the beloved church family,
Trivia quiz #7
- According to the book of Proverbs, the beginning of knowledge is __________________________
- The wise man built his house on ____________, and the foolish man built his house on ____________.
- What were the names of the two disciples who were called the “Sons of Thunder”?
- What was the name of the man who escaped from Damascus in a basket?
- What is the name of the Bible character that preached in a valley full of dead men’s bones?
- What was the name of the man who helped an African man to understand the Scriptures?
- The apostle Peter was known by three names. What were they?
- What Bible character accidently hanged himself in a tree?
- What was the name of the dressmaker who was raised from the dead?
- In order to bind a contract, what Bible person took off his shoe and gave it to his neighbor?
- Why was the woman in the Bible turned into a pillar of salt?
- How did Jonah feel when the great fish swallowed him?
Trivia quiz #6, with answers
- Who in the Bible could be called “The Lion Tamer?”
Daniel – Daniel 6
- If God be for us, _____________________________________?
Who can be against us – Romans 8:31
- Name the Fruit of the Spirit. (there are nine, name at least 5 to claim correct)
Love, joy, peace, longsuffering (patience), gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance (self-control). – Galatians 5:22-23
- What was the name of the man who was released from prison by an angel?
Peter – Acts 12:5-11
- What was the name of the first New Testament martyr?
James – Acts 12:1-2
- Which came first – the tower of Babel or the flood?
The flood – Genesis 7-9 & 11
- “And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon _________; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.”
Matthias – Acts 1:26
- What Bible character was called “The Tishbite?”
Elijah – 1 Kings 17:1
- What little boy king had to be hidden in a bedroom for six years to escape the rath of his wicked grandmother?
Joash – 2 Kings 11:1-2
- Jeremiah had a secretary. What was his name?
Baruch – Jeremiah 36:10, 17-18
- Where is tennis mentioned in the Bible?
When Joseph served in Pharaoh’s court
- Was there any money on Noah’s Ark?
Yes. The duck had a bill. The frog had a greenback. The skunk had a scent.