Announcements for Greensboro First Presbyterian – Join Us for Worship Sunday!
Advent will begin this Sunday, November 27. The word "advent," from the Latin adventus, means "coming" or "arrival." The Advent Season, encompassing the four Sundays before Christmas, is focused on the coming of Jesus as Messiah. Our worship, Bible readings, and prayers will not only prepare us spiritually for Christmas, His first coming, but also lead us in longing for His eventual second coming. This is why the Bible readings during Advent include both Old Testament passages related to the expected Messiah, and New Testament passages concerning Jesus' return.Since Advent looks forward to Christ's birth and Incarnation, it is an appropriate way to begin the Church Year. However, Advent is not part of the Christmas season itself, but a preparation for it. Thus, in some traditions, Christmas hymns, and Christmas readings, are not used in worship until December 25th, the first day of the Christmas season.
Dec 4, Worship and Communion, 11 AM, We welcome Rev Decatur Rodgers as our Pastor. He perfers to be called De. He has led worship for us recently. De and his wife, Barbara(also a Presbyterian Minister) live in Athens, Georgia. He is a graduate of Davidson College and Union Theological Seminary. He has served churches in NC, WV, KY, VA and NY.
- Introit: Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus, (vs 1)
- Sermon: to be announced
- Scripture: Old Testament- Isaiah 35:1-10; Epistle 2 Peter 3:8-15a; Gospel Mark 11:2-11
- Anthem: Bring A Torch, Jeannette Isabella - Duet - Marie Boswell and Chris Leac
- Hymns: People Look East; While We are Waiting, Come; Prepare The Way, O Zion.
- Congregational Response: I've Got Peace Like A River (vs 1)
- Sunday School: This week as we continue our study in the Epic of Eden Series by Dr Sandra Richter. This study is on the book of Isaiah. Class starts in the Fellowship Hall at 9:45. Susie Pressly is our class leader/teacher. No homework, no stress. This series will conclude December 18. Sunday School will take a 2 month vacation and start back the first Sunday in March.
WEDNESDAY: The choir will practice tonight at 7:00 PM in the Fellowship Hall.
Men of the Church Lunch: Nov 30, 2016, 11:30 AM Pickle Barrel on 44 South, Free Lunch compliments of Raffle Jim Choomack won and donated to the MOC. Join our fellowship.
December 4th Christmas Party: Beth and Ed Lewis have again invited us to celebrate Christmas together at their home. The party will be a catered lunch on Sunday, December 4th at 12:30, right after church. Please be sure that you RSVP so that we can plan.
Congregational Meeting. This meeting will be held after our December 18 Worship Service. It will be moderated by Dr. Ford G'Segner. The main purpose of the meeting is to hear a report from the Elder Nomination Committee.
PRESBYTERIAN WOMEN: PW Christmas Party is on 12-18-2016 at 2:30 PM at the home of Diane Myers.
Christmas Eve Service Christmas Eve Service, Saturday, December 24, 2016, Lessons and Carols at 6 PM.
- Christmas Day Service: Sunday December 25, 2016 Christmas Day Service at 11 AM. Short service to celebrate the Birth of Jesus Christ. Fellowship with cookies and punch to follow in the Narthex.
- January 1, 2017 worship: Regular Worship Sunday. we will Celebrate Holyommunion during our January 8, 2017 Worship Service.
- Sunday School: Taking a January - February break to resume the first Sunday in March.